Mothers come in all personality types, have many different interests, and like different sorts of gatherings. Here are some ideas for birthday party themes for Mom, whatever she might like.
Birthday Party Themes for a Small Family Party for Mom
A couple of ideas that are similar in nature are a ladybug party or a turtle party. For each theme:
- Have everyone wear color-coordinated shirts (red or green, respectively).
- Make a round cake and decorate in the same color, adding spots and antennae for the ladybug, and shell squares, head, and feet for the turtle.
- Have children in the family decorate paper plate versions of the chosen creature to hang on the wall.
- Use the same color balloons and crepe paper streamers. (Sidenote: The author’s family did a ladybug party for Grandma and did not let her in on the theme until later in the evening. She said later, “I thought it was a little odd that a lot of you were wearing red!”)
Ideas For an Elegant Birthday Party for Mom
If Mom likes things a bit fancy, there are many options.
- If in the budget, taking Mom and her guests to a nice restaurant is an elegant idea on its own. Perhaps ask guests to dress up and present Mom with a corsage to wear before the dinner.
- A tea party at a local tea house or at home can also be lovely.
- A floral theme is pretty for Mom. Decorate with flowers, use floral china (or nice quality flowery paper goods), and order a pretty rose or pansy cake.
Plan a Birthday Get-Away for Mom’s Birthday
- A mini vacation would be a very special birthday present. Make overnight reservations at a fancy hotel or cozy bed and breakfast to treat Mom to a relaxing break.
- For a landmark birthday (50, for instance), maybe Dad could take Mom away on a weekend cruise.
Home Birthday Party Themes for Any Mother
- A party based on one of her favorite collectibles, T.V. shows, or hobbies is very personal. Does Mom like scrapbooking? The TV show Survivor? Brainstorm ideas starting there.
- In an Olympic year, a World Games party is huge fun. Decorate with Mom’s country colors and flags, have “sports” competitions, and give out medals to the winners. The Olympic rings logo can be drawn on the cake.
Birthday Party Themes for a Fun or Silly Mom
- A girly pajama party with Mom’s lady friends invited could be fun. Be sure to provide Mom with new jammies, puffy pillows, a “chick flick,” popcorn and candy, and crazy hair stuff. Let Mom be a kid again.
- Have a game-night party and play silly games like Operation, Go Fish, Cranium, Spoons, and Trouble. Kids love this too.
(Most games listed are available at Target Stores or Toys R Us)